Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HEEELLLLPPP!!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:19 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180--->coming soon ;)
Hi guys! ok now here's the dilemma! as u can see over
<---------------------------------- there it says 180 or R33 "coming soon" now i'm stuck can u guys provide and relavent info that could help with my decisions incl any contacts u may or may not have importer wise!
:-? :-? **sx baby** :-? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:24 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
if you can't decide for yourself then your looking at the wrong cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:27 pm 
T28 Hybrid

I can decide very well for myself thank you foad, but i'm not exactly a super wizz when it comes to info on generally lemons etc, mod prices, specifically what to look for, what to be carful of etc etc with the combined knowledge here i figured i could get a much clearer idea, i have a pretty good idea of what i want already but all info helps!
**sx baby**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:32 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 2 x silvia, mountain bike
both are decent 180 is probably gonna be cheaper to maintain
cheaper on fuel and also parts
the 180 is just as fast as the r33

the r33 has a nicer interior

other than that u can probably get a 180 for cheaper than u would a r33
goodluck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:40 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Thanks drifting! I've been leaning towards the 180 for a while due to some of the FINE specimens i've seen but up here they are relatively common with chicks who....DONT know how to drive them they just like the look! R33s have that sense of style about them so it's becoming an even race! but i do agree with the maintanence advice thanks heaps!
**sx baby**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:46 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
the 180 will give you more bang for your buck. plus there are HEAPS more bolton and mods available for SR20s - i assume you will be getting an SR20 equipped one - so in the long run you will be happier with the 180

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:58 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
You're probably going to find opinions on a S13 vs R33 on a Silvia club forum a bit biased. :)

Personally I think that the 180SX looks heaps nicer than a R33 GTS-t. Its just got a much nicer purpose-built coupe body, whereas the Skyline can't hide its sedan origins.

Skyline coupes are really common in Sydney, but then again the Silvias / 180SXs are starting to get thicker on the ground, too. If you want something "different", get a Cefiro or something. :)

As for pace, the 180SX is a smaller car and so it'll corner harder on tighter roads, all other things being equal. The bigger Skyline will handle sweepers better, though.

In terms of mods, the SR20 is a very popular motor. Its not as if the RB25 isn't, but since Nissan imported cars with SR20s its easier to find parts.

If you need to worry about interior space, its hardly a difficult choice there. The only Nissan that has a less comfortable back seat than a Silvia is a 2+2 Z. Not sure how much this matters to you, of course.

They'll both go, and they both respond pretty well to mods, so you need to decide what style of corners you want to be attacking and how much "practicality" you need.

I'd go the 180SX, but then I'm more about going nuts on some back road switchbacks (just don't ask why I bought the car I did over a S15). That means lighter weight and a smaller car. You're the one that has to live with it, though, so its something to bear in mind.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:51 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Thanks Scathing, ur right about the bias but i've seen that a few ppl here own or at least drive R33's. i'll take on board what u've said and as u mentioned it is up to me since i have to live with it! I just wanted to hear different ppls opinions on the cars and see what they came up with to what i already no and choose! thanks heaps again!
**sx baby**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:18 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Yeah. I decided not to be a fence sitter by saying "its up to you", since you were asking for people's opinions. Still, we're not the ones having to point it out at a cruise and saying, "That one is mine".

Well, why don't you let us know what kind of driving you prefer doing, and it'll make it easier for us to recommend something. The cars don't really sit in the same class. The 180SX is more your nimble sports coupe, whereas the R33 coupes are more grand tourers in size and performance.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:40 pm 
T28 Hybrid

As far as driving preference goes i usually get up to more quick racy cornering type stuff, there's a bit of cruising to and from the coast on weekends and stuff for showing and stuff but as fas as long drives go i dont do alot of them. if i do i usually stooge my olds "SS" for that! as i think i said earlier i have been leaning towards the 180 due to the sleekness, it being lighter then the 33 and cheaper on fuel (4vs6) and all but i also like the way the 33's sit on the road fairly stocko. as far engine wise as i can c i will be getting a SR20 in it so if i read correctly above they'l do nicely against just about anything being the smaller wt:pwr ratio so thats also sititng in the back of my head!
As far as room-i-ness is concerned its not really as issue i'm tall and all but ive seen taller ppl quite comfortable in the 180 and i rarely take loads of ppl anywhere it's usally only me and my younger sister.
Thanks again Scathing, ur proving very helpful and opininated!
**sx baby**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:29 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
did you say younger sister?? :P

with power to weight ratios, in a potential power output of a modded engine, the SR20 is still going to be able to keep up with the RB25 with flywheel power. putting that into a lighter chassis - the 180; you have a weapon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:45 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Walking... Sideways
Settle Zei !!!
doesnt take you long does it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:53 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Given your driving requirements, take the 180SX.

As Zei20l said, your budget is going to be more of a limiting factor on power output from the engine than the motor itself. So that, in itself, is not an issue.

Even if you have two cars of equal power / weight ratio, in general the lighter car will be quicker point to point. Less momentum and smaller = a car that's more willing to change direction.

I have no idea which of the two cars run out of chassis / grip first when you start ramping up the power / weight ratio (even with suspension and tyre mods) but there's plenty of handling upgrades for both cars too.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:16 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
drive each car, a decent flogging.

be realistic about what u really want from the car and go for which taht suits u best. In my eyes, both cars will offer similar levels of performance and modification levels in as far as ur wallet streches for RB or SR.

Bang for buck goes to sr180, purely for the fact that u will get more value from mods since the car is much much more lighter.

SR's exhaust notes can sound like shit. period. R33's interior shits on almost all 180's, except for the very very late model ones.

i wrote this post without reading what was already written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:36 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s14a
skylines are more refined and well built, they feature more sofisticated engineering improvements over the S series....the S series of cars are more of an entry level sports car targeted at the younger population who may not have a wad of money but want style and performance.....it's almost like and FTO vs GTO, but the gap is smaller.....so i think that skylines are a better car from a designer's point of view...but personally, i've had 3 180sx and 1 silvia, a skyline and a soarer, now im back to a 180sx....